Sunday, March 30, 2008

in-between week! pick a poet!

Hey all! Since we technically have one more day of March, AND because we didn't have a lot of response to the free-for-all, we are going to stretch our fourth week into the last and first of March & April, respectively.

Also, to liven things up, start national poetry month off with a bang, we're going to try something a little new. We know it's high time we examined a poem by a male poet. We just can't decide on which poet. It seems an auspicious honor to be the poet up for discussion during the month of April, no? So, fellow poem-ers, help us choose. Leave a few choices in the comments, and next Sunday we will surprise you with a new poem/new poet.

Now go out there and spread the poetry this month!

10 comments:

Linda Jacobs said...

Jim Daniels and Jack McCarthy are two of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

From Therese--I suggest these particular poems, which are readily available to all of us within the archives of the website of Poetry Daily at www.poetrydaily.org. Here are my suggestions: 1) "By Way of Introduction" by Bob Hicok (Feb 21, 2008); 2) "Form" by Campbell McGrath (Feb.13 2008); 3) "Seeds" by Kevin Prufer (Feb. 7, 2008); 4) "City Without Sleep" by F. Garcia Lorca (Jan.22, 2008); and 5) "After the Pyre" by Li-Young Lee (Jan. 12, 2008). Li-Young Lee will be reading in Albany on April 1st and I hope to attend.

Anonymous said...

From Aimee - one of Gwen's (Therese)friend and fellow poet - Stephen Dunn, contemporary and recent Pulitzer winner is one of my favorites, as is Marvin Bell.

jillypoet said...

oh boy...this is going to be tough. i'm very bad with choices. the toothpaste aisle makes me crazy...

The Phantom said...

I would like to suggest Robert Louis Stevenson...I feel he is much undervalued as a serious poet.

Carol Berg said...

How about an Ode by Pablo Neruda? He has a variety, and imitating an ode would be interesting. He has odes to opposites, odes to common things, etc. I'm sure we could find an ode to post.
Carol

Anonymous said...

I suggest A.R. Ammons

Cassiopeia Rises said...

How about William Carlos Williams?

love-bd

Jan said...

i am an ee cummings lover. his poetry speaks to me...as does his style. he may be too 'simple' for this particular endeavor, but he is one of my very favorite poets.

Anonymous said...

Hello, here by way of Poets Who Blog. I'd like to suggest Kahlil Gibran and Ralph Waldo Emerson..:)